LITTLE CHURCH ON THE PRAIRIE


This past weekend I decided to take a drive out to the St. Norbert Farmer's Market.  I will admit I'm really slacking on attending the Market this year - I usually go quite a bit but I've only been once this year before this past weekend.  It was a beautiful day on Saturday - Sunny and warm, but not too hot and there was a bit of a breeze.  We've been having quite the heat wave here in Winnipeg so a cooler day was so refreshing and really made me feel like getting out while I wouldn't end up soaked in sweat just walking to the car.  As I drove, enjoying the sunshine and breeze through the open car windows, I was suddenly inspired to keep driving past the Farmer's Market.  There is a little church about 25 minutes outside of Winnipeg that I've driven by often and I was suddenly inspired to go out there and take a few photos of the tiny little place.

The little church, which I discovered is called Union Point United Church, is located on Highway 75 just South of Winnipeg near St.Agathe, Manitoba.  When I say it's located on Highway 75 I mean it literally is right on the highway - It's on the median between the North and Southbound lanes of traffic.  You can't miss this pristine, white church and adjacent graveyard in the centre of the highway, with nothing else around except prairie fields as far as the eye can see.  I've driven by this church many times since my childhood, as we took quite a few family trips South to North Dakota.  I've always been facinated by it;  The tiny white structure appearing like an oasis out of nowhere in the middle of the prairies.

The sign on the side of Union Point United Church indicates it was built in 1887, but it was destroyed by fire in 1939 and then re-built in 1940.  I was looking up some information on the church today and it is an official Manitoba Historical Site, and apparently the earliest burial in the cemetery is from 1879.  It's just the most darling little church, so I thought I'd share a few of my photos with you.


I've really come to appreciate church architecture in the past few years, especially churches that are steeped in history.  It was nice to finally be able to stop, get out of the car and explore the area around Union Point United Church.

Oh, and the best part - I made it back to the Farmer's Market in time to pick up some delicious kettle corn to take home with me. :)  ▲

No comments:

Post a Comment